The Senior Chemist Manager will administer and manage the overall chemistry functions associated with Obiter Research. The position supplies and supports the activities associated with research and custom synthesis projects as well as FTEs accepted by the company. Responsibilities include communication with customers in regards to the creation and issuance of quotes (RFQs) and Statements of Work (SOWs). The Senior Chemist Manager will be a part of Executive Management to design and develop processes to enable a successful completion of accepted projects. Upon acceptance of a project, the Senior Chemist Manager will order needed chemicals and supplies necessary to complete the project.
The position is also responsible for the organization and management of administrative functions as it relates to the communication and work flow from research chemistry throughout all other department of the company including but not limited to Process development, Quality Control, Accounting, Shipping, and Information Technology. The Senior Chemist Manager will serve as a special assistant to the CEO in Chemistry related matters.
The position assures that all chemists are trained and adhere to all company policies procedures and protocols including all areas of C.O.P.S. The Senior Chemist Manager is also a chemist and as such will participate in and conduct custom synthesis projects as assigned.
Full-Time, salaried, (40 – 45 hours/week), Monday – Friday
- Must have a minimum of a Doctorate (PhD) with 5 to 10 years related experience
- Must have experience working in a fast-paced environment with proven track record of balancing multiple projects and delivering needed results.
- Experience in lab-scale process development of organic synthesis including reactions, purifications, and analysis techniques.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills to effectively influence inside and outside the organization at all levels, and among diverse teams.
- Critical, creative thinker and idea generator with ability to convert ideas to proof-of-concept, inspire others to do the same.
- Skilled in project management, especially in outlining initial scoping and proof-of-concept stages.
- Customer and market orientation. Able to translate commercial needs into technical programs and business opportunities, and drive to execution.
- Ability to evaluate risk and recommend path forward.
- Able to handle ambiguity, adapt to changing environments, overcome challenges, and set priorities.
- Future thinking with a “whole systems” view.
- Prepare and /or coordinate the preparation for the majority of request for quotes (RFQs) and FTEs.
- Personal chemistry including identifying new projects
- Order and Track chemical and solvent supplies in connection with custom synthesis projects
- Enforces the cleaning, maintenance, and repair of assigned equipment
- Active participation in assigned company committees providing expertise and presentations
- Take initiative in planning and implementing improvements consistent with the long term goals of the company
- Method acquisition from literature, method development, and method verification.
- Work on high levels of technical complexity, and participate in technical project teams comprising team members from different geographies and functions.
- Conceive new ideas and develop scalable methods to produce new products as well as novel derivatives of existing products using chemical, enzymatic or physical modifications driven by market and customer need.
- Design and execute well-planned experiments, interpret complex data, and propose innovative solutions. Document experimental results and conclusions completely, in a well-organized fashion and in a timely manner.
- Place purchase orders for intermediates, solvents, chemical supplies and maintain inventories.
- Maintain and enforce accurate record keeping, chemistry procedures and safety standards including chemical hygiene plan and notebook entries.
- Proactively develop, recommend, maintain and enforce policies and SOPs.
- In coordination with the Executive Chemist, provide initial and continuous training to employees on the company’s instruments, procedures and systems that relate to research chemistry
- Collaborate with other Executive Management to ensure the implementation of consistent action strategies.
- Take initiative to overcome emerging production issues with other Executive Management or employees to enhance efficiencies in production and quality
- Identify and analyze new opportunities, anticipate risks and potential mitigation, and make recommendations.
- Proactively solve problems and issues requiring advanced level of technical knowledge and consideration of other disciplines.
- Influence and train others including providing input to solve challenges, and to create new technical capabilities.
- Escalate issues to management if projects are not on track or to discuss disconnects and misalignment. Input, track, monitor and report on potential or projected projects
- Ability to write reports, business correspondence, and procedural manuals.
- Knowledge of Microsoft products and internet experience
- Working knowledge of Chemdraw, Scifinder, & Analytical Systems Software
- Analyze samples with appropriate technique NMR, HPLC, MS, GC.
- Ability to read, analyzes, and interpret business periodicals, professional journals; technical procedures or government regulations
- Ability to effectively present information and respond to questions from groups, customers, and the general public.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as: discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages and areas required. Use of basic algebra and geometry concepts.
- Matching 401K
- PTO Time
- Medical Insurance
- Vision and Dental Insurance
- Life insurance policy paid by the company
You may reach our human resources department at firstname.lastname@example.org.